Thursday 12 September 2013

Zodiac

This here is an interview that took place between Propane and East London's rising star Zodiac:

*as I was trying to introduce myself, so she can be comfortable, she goes to say..*


Zodiac
:) oh by the way Propane I'm Zodiac, most people call me Zoe

*...i could tell she's really from EC, no shyness*


Propane
Haha, pleasure to meet you also :) you're an artist right.. I'd expect most people to call you Zodiac, or Zoe & Zodiac are the same person in real life & in music?

Zodiac
Lol I might have confused you a lil bit, sorry! My name is Olwethu, the stage name is Zodiac. People call me Zoe in short to Zodiac otherwise yeah Zodiac and Olwethu are both lot alike but sometimes I feel like Olwethu gets more influenced by Zodiac because she gets more involved in Olwethu's life so much that Zodiac just takes on so much both musically and in real life

Propane
Haha & honestly I thought Zoe was different from Zodiac.. Poor Olwethu getting no shine here cos she's no star like Zodiac lol. Can you please tell me then about the alter-ego Zodiac? who she is, from where & her role in music etc

Zodiac
Ohk uhm Zodiac aka Zoe lol..is from Eastern Cape in East London uhm she is a Vocalist mostly RnB music.. uhm Zodiac also has a background of some Hip hop music as well I had 2 years of being a rapper started performing and recording 2009 and as you see I'm still doing music.. uhm when I look at Zodiac I see a young talented girl who has a dream and a vision not only for herself but other young girls out there. I came to a point where I said I will never give up so I see her  breaking through the industry, also for young girls from the Eastern Cape who wanna succeed in whatever they put their minds to

Propane
Very interesting & inspiring also :) I take that your music is also along the same lines, or how'd you describe your sound?

Zodiac
Its exactly that! I'm a very diverse artist, my love for music allows me to take on other genres as well but still be Zodiac because what makes Zodiac the artist is who she is and how she wants to be seen.. So my sound is along the lines of being more inspiring, emotional sometimes and powerful. There's a lot of power that lives within my sound as well as you can tell that this person wants to be heard or listened to.. that was so distinctive that if you carefully listen you'd notice that I never overdo a lot of vocals within my music because I understand how to make good music but also pass the message

Propane
Great stuff.. & talking about being diverse, between 2009 & 2010, I heard a verse by you on a joint called Relay which had U-Diverse Ent members only! Were you ever associated with them, what's the story there?

Zodiac
Uhm yeah.. I was associated with U-Diverse Entertainment uhm that's were I started doing recordings and performances and at that time I was trying to find out who am I and why am I doing this.. but at that time I was really young so I kind of didn't know how long it was going to take me but whatever I could learn at U.Diverse Entertainment I was going to take it and use it

Propane
& its been quite a long time since 2009 when you started, you must have grown a lot... Any projects that you've worked on or are currently busy with?

Zodiac
Yes! I do have a project that I'm working on its an Album called "Hear Me Out" and its all about introducing Zodiac's music basically to say Hear her out

Propane
Wow an album, does this mean that you're signed or? & do tell who you worked with so far on its making :)

Zodiac
Well.. I'm not signed yet, I think I wanted to have material first then guide myself to getting signed afterwards otherwise the people I worked with are DJ Blackman, Luthoz from Dice Game Productions, Worx, King Sezo, Trusenz, Hasty, Gunzo, KayZet, Blaqphamas and Hopefully Berita

Propane
I see you got iLL City's finest there on your list.. I trust on that project! If you've been heart-broken, maybe you can do the Hip Hop version of Thandolwethu you check?! Haha

Zodiac
Lol!! Nooo come on!! You know Thandolwethu is such a beautiful song I think who ever would do another version of it besides the House Tune by Oskido has guts! And a chance of going to a downfall because that song has proven its place along with its singer - She sings it best

Propane
haha true.. Its done opened many doors for her! You too have any kinda relationship?

Zodiac
Uhm yeah.. she's a good person very humble as well. I've done some of my performances along side her it came to a point were we performed together at O.R Tambo Hall eZwelitsha and yeah she's a very friendly person even shared a few ideas about how to take on my music I still appreciate that coming from her

Propane
In her case, we can judge a book by its cover.. Anything else besides music that you do maybe? Work/Studies.. Dating maybe? Lol I know there's always "single" guys

Zodiac
Lol!! You'll never find me on the dating scene not anytime soon lol but I do Study at Boston College in East London, I do Media

Propane
Haha well that is more painful than rejection damn.. The "never find me on the dating part" part! Reasons for that?
Zodiac
Well its simple, music needs attention and focus and when its a dream and you so passionate about it, things like dating seem to be just a waste of time. So to those who are dating and still handling their business very well I give props to them they working hard

Propane
You bring more sense into it now, & these always work out in a way that pulls the other! & I don't mean to justify the girls with sugar daddies or guys got sugar mamma's haha. Thanks for you time & all that you've shared :)

Zodiac
No problem..:) thank you for having me here.

Propane
And where else can people find you or connect with you - twitter & facebook maybe?

Zodiac
Ohk my Twitter handle is @YakZodi and the facebook name is Olwethu Zoe Diyak

Download Zodiac's latest single Change Your Mind

No comments:

Post a Comment