Wednesday 6 November 2013

Yung KG


We were blessed with a chance to chat with one of the hardest working upcoming talented young man in South Africa and this how it went down.

Q: This is sort'a gonna be like those mxit questions of "intro please" hehe but you know the drill ma dude - for those that (still) don't know who you are, can you let em’ know?

Yung KG: Well there's so many ways to define who Yung KG is but I prefer to be known as that ambitious Xhosa rapper from the Eastern Cape, born in Ntabankulu in the late 80's I usually don't mention my other names like Philile Yanga Kagiso Koto reason being I want people to know Yung KG as a brand & not to focus on my birth names & stuff.

Q: Word mayne, in fact I was still gonna ask why the name Yung KG but it all makes better sense now, I'm not thinking KG as in kilo haha. When you say 'brand', I believe your hustle goes beyond the music?

Yung KG: Yes It goes beyond the music in a sense that Yung KG must not be just that guy who raps in xhosa but It must be a name that will stick in people's minds & whenever they hear my song they will go like oh yeah it that guy KG the Eastern cape representer that's why I extended my hustle into branding clothes so I came up with T-shirts written Tabankulu my Home town and Transkei my Motherland I promise you with those two things mentioned as mine or my work forgetting my name is not an easy thing

Q: No doubt about that - & you have made a move to Johannesburg, being someone who's from EC I understand that move, but you still stayed indie. Do you prefer working that way?

Yung KG: Well its every body's dream as artist to go to J-sec but when you get there come to realise that things are different you need money to do certain things like features making quality music & so forth but other that I worked as Yung KG to gain fan base as Yung KG not because I featured one or two of the well-established cats in that way I had the whole lot of chance to switch into many things like dropping vocals myself when there's no one to do a hook for me or kill. International beats with a mix of Xhosa & English just to showcase my versatility as an artist

Q: Aye... Right now you're in Durban, you got a single on the airwaves, uphezu kwantoni kanti - is there a project you working on/promoting?

Yung KG: Ok right now I am Durban I came here to finish off some songs with Masta Vi whose a producer from EC basically I am finishing of my 1st Tape ever to drop that's gonna have probably 10 to 12 songs in it hoping to drop it before the end of November for promo reasons I just dropped a song titled “Tat'uMandela” I believe it’s a hit track but the plan was to show how honourable the guy is an obviously for me as an artist to have written a song about such Icon is an hounor

Q: It’s good to see artists such as you honouring the greats of this country, in fact the world -besides the fact the guy is DOA (just jokes).. On this tape, besides Masta Vi, who else can the people expect on this project?

Yung KG: Well Gamabeats who’s the main guy he produced most of my hit tracks such as Story of my life - Back to my roots & the one I just shot a music video for titled “Thina syay'xutha” feat. Yang M and Silem prince they both from Kokstad & right now I am pushing my newest joint titled “Iphupho lami” produced by Goddabeatz from uMzimkhulu & he's the one on the hook

Q: Awe dope... The video will be hitting our screens soon I hope?

Yung KG: Oh yes it’s now on its mastering course & in the meantime I have been trying to make connects with TV stations who are willing to screen it when it’s out here is an audio version of the joint “Thina syay'xutha” http://kasimp3.co.za/85082 & for masses who wanna hear more of my work then can just google Yung KG Koto & check my Facebook account all the links are laid out on my artist profile God bless.

Q: I'm sure you have Bay TV already waiting to screen that already since you handled that interview with them a few weeks ago. Thanks for your time though man, all the best for the future

Yung KG: Hell yeah Bay TV is waiting for it hahaha & thanks a lot for your time too dawg & keep giving such opportunities to young cats mane, it helps

Q: No doubt my dude - we're all about pushing up-coming talent

Follow @iamyungkg1    @in_tym

No comments:

Post a Comment